green background

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grow Up Of Your Major

This couldn't have come at a better timing.

I saw this article on msn; Does Your Major Matter?

It explains that to most graduates, their earning power or employment is totally unrelated to their major. In fact, most people probably will not be employed within their selected major. Honestly, I have realised this truth a long time ago, but most of my friends were, are, still frantic that they will not find a job with their chosen major. Excuse me, but I find it stupid. These people missed the very basic idea of getting an education.

What really matters is that you go to university, and get a degree. What's even more important than the attainment is the whole journey that gets you there. In uni you learn to write and communicate up to business standard. You learn problem-solving and critical thinking, skills that will get you through whatever work situations you may find yourself in.

Of course, like the article said, you can't get employed in the line of chemical engineering if you are not educated in chemical engineering, but the universal skills of interpresonal skills, corporate communication, and report writing you learned during your studies should be applicable and sought after everywhere!

And what's even more important is to keep learning on the job. After all, each job and position is unique. You have the whole corporate culture to soak up and the faster you do it the better. Most people like to think that once they are employed in their chosen field and position, they can relax. Only to have a rude awakening two days down the line.

I am normally unconcerned about going to uni dramas with people frantically choosing the "right" course with employment being their first order of things. It doesn't matter if they love a certain course to death. If they think it's not going to get them employed, they would drop it like a hot coal. What's worse is when they don't think ahead on how they are going to suffer for four straight years enduring a course they dislike.

The reason why I am compelled to say something this time is because I have been approached by a junior from high school. For some reason this junior is still quite attached to me. I must be an awesome senior XD.

Anyway.

He asked me for advice. Since I like giving advises, the first thing I told him, since SPM results had JUST come out, is to RELAX. Young kids have a tendency to jump the gun you see. He's just finished with high school and college won't start until June. Or July. So I told him to just stay down and enjoy his time off. But this kid in particular is your typical student leader who cannot help but think too further ahead. Next I told him that his journey is still long and winding, to take his time and most importantly, to not let anybody but him make the decision after this. Of course, I specifically meant that on his decisions on what to study and where, though I didn't say it.

Too many people had fallen into a trap, letting other people, usually their parents, to decide what they should study for. Only ending up regretting it later. I don't want the same to happen to him. But he is head strong and bloody innocent.

When I chose this course, which is simple business management and not finance or accounting or marketing, a lot of brows were raised and trained on me. I simply did not want a specific major because I don't know what business I will ultimately do. And at the rate of how easily I get bored with ideas, I am contented to not be tied to any certain major. But I do realize to some people it is suicide. That is, until they realize they have been living in their own paranoid world.

Anyway, go read the article if you are having doubts about your course. Me, I have had my sights on something even bigger from the start.

Ta'ra!

No comments: