green background

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Milk

Say what you will about milk, but one thing remains the same: It is the BEST source of protein for the human body. You can argue that there are soy and egg and fish, but what is the first thing they feed you when you were born? That's right, milk. Enough said. Unless you're alergic to milk, please source your protein elsewhere.

Anyway, when I was in kindergarten up till primary 2 or so, my dad would ensure that we drink milk after every swimming lesson; which was everyday. Even if we were eating out after swimming, he would stare us down until we order something containing milk. Yes, my dad was that strict. I'm sure there were other parents even stricter than ours, but please don't tell me about it. (Which is why I find ADHD crap. Drugs to treat insolent behavior in children? Pfft! You stupid ang moh! There is already a very affective cure for insolent children here; a cane.)

When I was 9 I broke my wrist and stopped swimming so my milk streak ended too. After that I still like milk, but I don't drink it regularly. This is because anything milky in the morning upsets my stomach, and we only had the cold ready-to-drink milk available because my mom no longer buys the milk powder for us adults. Cold drink early in the morning? No thank you! :x

I read somewhere (everywhere) that when you're in you're 20s your body is still gathering bone mass thus needed to store up on calcium. At 30 your body stops gathering bone mass and starts using it. So it is essential to get as much calcium as possible to ensure you have a strong body as you grow older. I started exercising after I finished high school and drank milk everyday; the low fat kind. To make sure I had two glasses worth a day I had it with cereal. So cereal became my breakfast. After that one year dedicated to fitness it became a habit to drink milk everyday. Besides, it is quite filling which makes for a good and quick breakfast.

Before, I would go out and buy the milk on my way to work/class so if I don't have work/class I don't drink milk. I don't keep them around at home due to the short shelf life. I only keep a small bottle of full cream milk to drink with tea and even that often gets thrown out halfway. So now I made it a mission to drink at least 2 glasses of milk a day. A regular glass I take it. How many mililiters I have no idea. So the other day I went to the supermarket and saw powder milk! Thus my dilemma began.

So this Dutch Lady milk powder has 3 flavours: full cream, honey and plain. Full cream is out because it has too much unnecessary fat, and my stomach could no longer handle it. Honey is good not just because it tastes good. Drinking hot milk with honey before bed helps in flattening your abs if you're into that. And it did work, mind you. So I was left between honey and plain. For every 230ml, which was one serving, plain has 147 calories while honey has 149. It was only 2 calories, but I took the plain one, in case I get bored of the honey taste. I can always add honey if I want to.

Now, when I bought the milk powder, I have one and a half carton of low fat milk in the fridge. I went to check the calorie content; for every 250ml, it has only 120 calorie. Calorie-wise, the plain milk powder has 27 more calories than the low fat milk. It looks like an obvious choice to just stick with low fat milk than to change to milk powder and took on the extra 27 calories. But I didn't change. I simply varied them.

Eventhough the milk powder has 147 calories, it contains pure milk. The lowfat milk on the other hand, contains flavoring to make up for the loss of taste due to its fat being trimmed away. Now, I am not against flavoring, but I do agree that less flavoring is better, being artificial and such. I used to put the milk into the microwave to heat them when I want it hot, but it's so complicated. So with milk powder I just add hot water and sugar and have myself hot milk just like the old days! xD

So. Milk, or milk powder? I say both. Why limit yourself? After all, my fitness goal is to be fit and stronger and healthier. I will eat healthier but it doesn't mean I will eat only healthy things xD. Life and food needs to enjoyed. In moderation. As you become fitter, the weight would go away on its own.

Now, I need to shower and study at least one chapter for the test this Saturday. Tonight I will go to Kino with sensei and Totchi to check out the new JLPT books. I am determined! xD and besides, sensei has those vouchers he got for teacher's day. He needs to go shopping now!

Ta'ra!

1 comment:

Kloptops said...

So, you go from dissing how we run our business, to dissing the disability I have. And jfyi, corporal punishment never did anything to help me with it.

Also I can't drink milk anymore, the smell of it makes me feel yak. But I blame it on working in a supermarket's dairy department. Blech.