green background

Monday, December 3, 2007

Too Independent Too Soon?

Going shopping with daddyo is very profitable. I would always start with nothing, and by the end of it I get my stuff plus the change from the purchase of my stuff. Makes good economic sense doesn't it?

But why are people in such a hurry to be independent from their parents?!

I even had a friend who has no background in business, has no experience or any related knowledge, is diving head on into a business! I've told this same friend what she should know about and what she should work on, and she admitted she wa sunprepared so the business idea was tossed aside. But then came the holidays and she considered herself been 'sleeping' too long. So she thought starting a business was the best way to 'wake' her up! She came to me asking for some financial support. I questioned her some basic things not related to the business but on how she was going to be able to pay me by January when she couldn't even find money now? She replied she 'believed there are many ways' so I asked her why not use those 'many ways' to get the money now? Then she concluded I wasn't able to help her so she went away.

I mean, get real. Would you lend your money to someone who's indecisive and unconfident like that? I really hate it when people want to borrow money from me but act as if it's no big deal if I don't give it to them. I would have helped if they really wanted it. Sometimes it can be for something as stupid as wanting to buy clothes urgently so long as they really need it and can assure me payback can be made in reasonable time. I am a yes or no person. If you want it, say yes I want it. Not 'well, if you could lend me it would really be helpful though you don't neccesarily have to'. To me that's a no.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's encountered people like this.

Look, it's not that I want to dampen her spirit in doing a business, but doing a business, even if it's just some crappy MLM (maybe especially so), should not be taken lightly. Is it wrong to start small like selling nasi lemak or keropok lekor by the road side? Trust me. If you do it diligently it will pay off nicely. I know this because I have a friend who's actually doing this and she stuck to basic rules of business. Good value, good customer service and plain hardwork will get customers coming back and money rolling in. Is it so hard?

So that's someone who wants to branch off on their own as soon as they can. Another is people who just refuse to accept money from parents. Isn't it weird that people would turn down free money? I asked them why and they said they don't want the strings attached to it. They would rather work for their own things than asking for money from their parents. A nobel thought, of course. But when your parents are giving you free money with no strings attached, why do you still refuse it?!?

Doesn't this remind you of the term 'kais pagi makan pagi, kais petang makan petang?' Roughly translated it has about the same meaning as living 'from hand to mouth'. It's like working hard to pay the advance payment for your car. Once you get the car you still have to pay the monthly payments, so doesn't this actually add to your expenses even though you're not making anymore than you did before you got that car?

So doesn't that leave you with less money?

This is a typical middle-class mentality. They believe in working hard, saving money and living off that money their whole life. They are suspicious of investments. They take pride in being able to fend for themselves without any parental intervension.

Like I said, a noble thought, but not very practical. We humans have to accept that we need help from time to time, whether we like it or not. And when you're with parents, they have certain responsibilities over you including giving you your pocket money. To refuse your right is stupid. Sure, go ahead and make yourself independent, but don't stop parents from being parents. We are at an age where we are slowly breaking free from our parents. But we are not quite there yet. So is it so wrong to just stay quietly and take things as they come? I mean, in five years or so nobody would be around to make dinner for you anymore once you're married.

Maybe I'm saying this because I am comfortable living in my parents' house. I know this is not the case for everyone but it apllies to most people. Remember how people kept reminiscing how good life was in high school? and when you enter the working life you reminiscent how much better life was during college?

All I'm trying to say is: forward thinking is good. But never forget to live in the moment. The saddest thing is to let life pass you by without you even realizing it.

There, I gave you my Dua Kupang Worth. Now have a life. Ta'ra!

2 comments:

Rei said...

Eh why would they want to borrow money from you in the first place?

I mean, I'd always ask parents or relatives first... aunts... stuff...

Atziluth said...

Some of my 'friends' have this twisted perception that sinc emy life is so good I should share my good fortunes.