green background

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Dressing for less

Whenever I think of the effortlessly well-dressed man, I always imagined Matt Bomer from White Collar. Despite being a prisoner of sort, he still dresses well everyday, and makes you wonder when does he find time to iron his shirt and pants and get his suits dry-cleaned.

He would still look hot with nothing on anyway, but still.

The point is, I always admired the way men dress. They can practically wear the same things everyday and nobody would judge. Or care. They can wear the staple jeans and t shirt everyday and be comfortable and happy. For myself, coordinating outfits with the right materials and colors are so annoying but somehow needed for happy life.

After being in the fashion industry for a while, I'm obsessed with the idea of having to portray my boutiques through what I wear. I am not fashionable or elegant. If I found something of the right material and cut that I like, I will wear it everyday if I can. Hell, Steve Jobs wear the same black shirt 'uniform' all the time and he's a millionaire. RIP Steve.

Why do I do this? Because the popular brands are all spearheaded by fashionable founders. Most people get into their brand because the owner/founder is very beautiful/ stylish/ fashionable/ popular/ hangs out with popular (and or) beautiful people. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this of course. But for someone unfashionable like me, it is very tiring. Plus, I dont have any popular or stylish friends. My two closest friends are a doctor, and a lecturer. God knows why they are friends with me. But I am grateful nonetheless.

For my D'Lihah brand, I knew from the start we will not be able to compete with big brands head on. We have no connections to popular people so we only have our marketing dollars to rely on. And even that is precious few. But for that minimal resources we want to create jubahs and dresses that will be the ULTIMATE. Your one and only! How? By delivering high quality materials that do not fade, do not get damaged easily, easy to clean, to wear, to store with minimal ironing. With stitching, we deliver Made in Malaysia stitching quality where their work quality is easily monitored by us, and maintained by the factory. And with design, a simple design with a classic cut that is beautiful on everyone, in colors that will not go out of date. We always imagine a lifestyle of wearing jubah for everyday that is why you will not find excessive embellishments on them like beadings or stitched on flowers. This makes the jubahs hard to clean with washing machine you see.

But what I'm talking about is even more simple than this. I mentioned Matt Bomer and his suits because I like that simplistic clean look. Not simply achieving it by wearing the colors and cuts, but if this is your lifestyle, surely you have a lot of the same type of clothings right? And to go a step further, rather than have 10 of the same types and color of shirt, because we are trying to sell less and buy less here, wouldnt it be great if we have just 1 or 3 of those shirts? Imagine the savings on closet space!

In Malaysia, clothes are cheap cheap cheap. Foreigners might think Zara and H&M already quite cheap, but here we have even cheaper stuff that can make those brands look like Chanel-expensive (theyre not). This resulted in a closet full of low quality crap that you wear for a short time. I have stopped buying these cheap clothes long ago because it makes me feel like a fraud (I have issues). So, invest in good quality clothings that you can wear for a long time. Pick styles and cut that look good on you and wear them forever.

Yes, I am only 28 yet I was told I am too old to change. So yeah, why not just do what makes you happy?

more on this in the future!

Ta'ra!

No comments: