green background

Monday, April 26, 2010

Birthday, and something else...

I turned 23 last Thursday. Had a fun little gathering. I get to reconnect with my cousin and an old family friend, and got to know her friend. All Sarawakians, which was what I needed at the time. Sarah had 3 birthday cakes. I had only 2. It's not fair. I will get one more! Then I will write a post about my birthday xD.

Now, I feel like a hypocrite. The day after my birthday, I received news that mentioned old family friend's elder sister got into a horrible car accident. I didn't know the details very well then, but all I remembered was that her brain had poured out of her skull, she couldn't be operated on (because that means instant death) but somehow is still alive. Barely. I was shocked, mostly because of the accident. We were just talking about her the day before and such. My mom told me not to say anything to her, and I agreed it was not my place. Not long after my cousin told me about the accident, and that the sister already took a flight back home earlier in the day.

I was saddened, and shocked, and in a lot of worry. And at the same time I felt like a hypocrite. Their family and mine used to be very close when I was about 11. So close we took vacations to the beach together often. I was closer to the elder sister, admittedly and we had a lot of fun times. But as we grew up, we grew apart because of issues between our families, but when we met again after a few years, we talked as if nothing has changed. So if we are not so close now, then why should I feel so bad? I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because she's young, only 24. And the accident was so horrible, and even though she somehow lived on, God Willing, parts of her brain would have to be removed, and she will never make a 100% recovery.

Perhaps I'm just being nostalgic, as people always do when someone they know personally is suddenly struck by such a tragedy. I don't know. But even though we don't think of each other very often, it doesn't change the fact that we used to be close, and are still amiable friends, and that our families are close (again). I would never wish such a thing on my worst enemies, and her, far from it. Right now, in her condition, I could only leave her in God's hands, because He knows best. And I can only do what I can for her.

Pray for her. God, she is so young.

And birthday post later. Ta'ra.

No comments: