green background

Friday, October 30, 2009

Sorting Strays and Other Things

Strays: Trolleys filled with books that were previously on the shelf, but were unwrapped due to customers' requests.

Don't pretend you don't know what they are >_>. They are those pile of books you ask to peek inside only to end up purchasing just one or none at all. Those books fill up at least one trolley per day. It's normal to end up with at least one and a half trolleys of them in a day. Those books can't go back on the shelf naked. They need to be shrink-wrapped again before displaying. And who's the poor bastard who has to slave away wrapping them??? ME of course!

Next time you want to ask for books to be unwrapped, think about poor lil ol me...

Hijacking: to take over an unmanned wrapping machine whose current user is away usually temporarily.

I'm not always not guilty of this, but most of the time I find myself on the receiving end. I'll be away to the toilet or the surau (which would take longer) and when I come back someone else would be have already pushed my trolley aside and park theirs in its place, slaving away on my machine. It's not like they have the decency ti go away after that. Placing my apron with my nametag on the trolley was not enough. Once I even purposely left a pile of books on the machine to keep away invaders - and they still came! Unsurprisingly it's those folks over at CBD (Chinese Books Dept) who often hijack me. Pfftt.

CBD: Hijackers.

EBD: Hard workers.

xD

EBD Unit 3: People whose lives are expected to shorten by 50%

We got a new part-timer last week which means I'm no longer the newest person around, which is awesome xD. Dramatically I see our workload decrease. Full-timers now concentrate on manning the counter while displaying are mostly left to part-timers. Yes, we are being classified like that. Full-timers handle all the administrative stuff while part-timers become their hands and legs.

Being someone else's hands and legs is tiring work...but I would rather this physical pain than mental ones heh.

When I started work I was prepared to work with people of varying ages. I was surprised though that most of the floor staffs turned out pretty young. Must be that age limit thing as a condition of employment.

I made friends xD.

Ta'ra!

No comments: